Monday, August 27, 2007

Serenity Springs Sanctuary

A couple of weeks ago I took the kids and Madeline to visit the animals here:

http://www.serenityspringssanctuary.org (I can't get the @#&*$ links to work, so feel free to cut and paste..argh!)

I have been looking at the site of Farm Sanctuary in California (farmsanctuary.com) for quite some time, wishing we could visit, and I found out that there was actually a sanctuary within driving distance. Terry is a great lady. Her place is beautiful and she takes excellent care of all these animals. The sanctuary has 130 pigs, 2 donkeys, 2 goats, 2 steers, some horses, several cats, a few dogs, and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. One of the dogs is a gorgeous white pit bull that would likely have no chance in a shelter, he's a little bigger than Angel and has every bit of her...shall we say...zest for life? They're all so darling. Some of the pigs followed us around on our tour, talking to us with oinks and little squeals and grunts. One pig lays down for belly rubs as soon as you pay attention to her. Pedro the donkey follows people around so quietly and gently, waiting patiently for attention, that you don't know he's literally an inch behind you until you turn around and nearly smack into him. And Patrick...oh Patrick the baby goat has got to be the cutest thing I've ever seen. As soon as she called him he answered back, "baaah!" and came running to find us. He is into everything, just like a toddler or a puppy. He stayed right with us but I still could barely get a picture of him because he's just never still. Absolutely adorable.

Terry gave us a great tour and made us feel so welcome, even on one of the hottest days of the year. She welcomed us back to visit anytime and accepted my offer of any help I can provide so we're planning to go back often.

Here are some pictures, and a layout:





No comments: